At the Oil & Gas Technology Center, we’re building a world-class team that’s working to solve some of the world’s toughest energy challenges. We’re bringing together researchers, scientists, and engineers from across the world to develop new technologies and processes that will transform our energy system – making it smarter, faster, cleaner, safer, cheaper, and more efficient.
Unconventional resources have literally reshaped North American energy supplies, and with the breadth and depth of GE’s portfolio, we will help optimize recovery of those supplies and extend those benefits globally. Working with industry partners, the Oil & Gas Technology Center will apply technologies and processes to improve the way these resources are developed and used, expanding the unconventional resources revolution to the rest of the word.
Some of the areas we’re working on include:
- Developing new technologies like brilliant drilling systems to deliver enhanced performance in drilling operations.
- Exploring the beneficial use of CO2 for enhanced oil recovery or to replace water in well completions.
- Optimizing existing technologies in areas such as artificial lift and water use, reuse, and recycling.
- Looking at processes and how we can develop smart completion systems that offer greater precision in completion operations.
To do this, we’re building research capability that brings us closer to the rock. We’re assembling a team of technical professionals with backgrounds in geosciences, petrophysics, petroleum, chemical, mechanical, and systems engineering. We’ve hired program leaders who are seasoned oil and gas industry veterans with 30+ years of experience, and PhD level technologists with backgrounds in energy systems analytics and in improved oil recovery. We have young engineers who think big, who know the power of technology, and who want to push the envelope when it comes to developing technologies and processes to help our customers drive down costs, improve performance, and minimize their environmental footprint.
Given all the energy around the Oil & Gas Technology Center here in Oklahoma City, I thought I’d share with you the top 10 reasons why our team is excited about this new center, and the opportunity we have to improve the world.
- Big Brand, Lean Mindset: We’re leading a start-up…within a large company.
- Surrounded by Smarts: We get to work with the best researchers in the world —passionate people who are committed to making a difference.
- Hands on High-Tech: We get to work with the most sophisticated, state-of-the-art technologies.
- Working on What Matters: We’re tackling the oil & gas industry’s toughest challenges to produce energy that will be critically important for decades.
- Backed by 100+ Years of Innovation: We get to think big, and with a company like GE the innovation potential is virtually limitless.
- An Application Focus: What we design and develop will really get used.
- Diverse Expertise: A great place to learn, collaborate, and achieve.
- Global Connections: GE is present in 170 counties, and we get to interact globally on a daily basis.
- Solid Home Base: Oklahoma City is an exciting place to live for young professionals – from urban to suburban with many options to play, socialize, and entertain.
- Make the World a Better Place: Oklahoma has developed into an epicenter of new technologies that enable new resources that will power the world: cleaner, safer, and more affordably.
To learn more about the Oil & Gas Technology Center, please visit our landing page where you can stay up-to-date on the site build, meet several of our inventors, learn about our technology portfolio and more. As we build out our team, I will continue to share updates through this blog. To receive related posts via email, visit the “subscribe to future posts” drop down on the right-hand column of this blog post and select your topics of interest.